Apply for Project iSWEST 2017You can be part of the 30 people who will be selected this summer to participate in Project iSWEST 2017. Apply Now!
From 7th August to 26th August, 2017, Nsesa Foundation will be giving 30 high school students the opportunity to gain practical, hands-on training in innovation, problem identification, entrepreneurship and building startups during Project iSWEST 2017 this year in Accra.
Project iSWEST is a 3-week innovation boot camp where high school students are given practical training in the innovation process from problem identification to building startups. This year’s program will focus on innovations that address problems in Agriculture and participants will work in teams to identify and design and prototype innovative solutions to problems they have identified in Agriculture.
After participating in Participating in Project iSWEST participants will
- Gain basic skills in Computer Programming and Microcontroller (Arduino) Programming.
- Learn how to use the design process to identify a problem and develop possible, sustainable solutions to those problems.
- Learn how to turn a business idea into a viable business.
- Learn how to present and pitch ideas and products to investors.
- Learn how to work together in a team.
- Get access to a large network of alumni, mentors and other resource people who can help transform Project iSWEST ideas into viable businesses.
- Be inspired and challenged by experts in large corporations such as Facebook and Google to cause change by identifying problems around them and turning them into sustainable businesses.
Structure of Project iSWEST 2017
Project iSWEST 2017 will be in two parts, the Workshop Phase and the Innovation Phase.
Workshop Phase (Week 1)
Students will be introduced to the innovation process and entrepreneurship and given basic hands-on training in computer and Arduino programming. Students will also have motivational sessions with resource persons from Facebook, Google and other reputed institutions in person and via video link.
Innovation Phase (Weeks 2 & 3)
Participants will familiarize themselves with problems after which they will work in teams of 5 to further research the problem, design and prototype an innovative solution to the problem.
Other Activities Include
Facilitators and mentors will be assigned to each team to support and assist the team during the innovation phase.
The Pitch Day
The climax of Project iSWEST 2017 is the final day dubbed “The Pitch Day” where teams will present their solutions to a panel of judges, high school officials and other dignitaries. Teams will be assessed on the impact, sustainability, feasibility and business viability of their projects. Awards will also be presented to the top three teams.
All high school students from Ghana are eligible. Applicants are not required to have a prior experience with programming before applying. Students reading other programs apart from Science are also encouraged to apply.
To apply you should
1. Be resident in Accra or at least be able to get accommodation in Accra during the entire program.
2. Be able to commit to attending the full program from 7th August to 26th August 2017 from 10 am to 4 pm each day.
3. Be able to commit to completing all activities including participating in group work, submitting assignments, attending field trips, taking part in research activities, attending the pitch day, etc.
4. Be interested in working on the iSWEST idea and turning it into a startup even after the program.
Students can apply by completing the online application form below. To apply, students will need to form a team consisting of 2 to 5 members with at least two (2) of the members coming from the same school.
Each team will have to identify a problem in Agriculture and propose a solution to the problem. Note, however, that the proposed solution might evolve during the course of the program.
After the application deadline, all entries will be screened and selected applicants will be notified.
Members of selected teams will be required to pay a registration fee of Ghc150 per team member. The program is free for all girls. Partial scholarships may be available for selected applicants who cannot pay the full amount.
The fee covers:
- Tuition for 3 weeks
- Course materials and resources
- Lunch for 3 weeks
- Team project allowances
- Certificates and T-shirts
Applications close on Frida, 4th August, 2017 so hurry and apply now!
If you’d like more information or have any problem at any point during your application, please send us a message or call 0501359999.
Need some inspiration to apply? Check out the impact we are making and what others who have gone through previous editions of Project iSWEST are doing.