From 20th September to 9th October 2021,
We’ve run the program 6 times and the most recent one held in 2019 was focused on Health. This year’s program will focus on the theme “#TheNewNormal: Challenges and Opportunities for Innovation”. Participants will work in teams to design and prototype innovative solutions to some of the challenges they will identify related to the theme.
Additionally, as we did last year, in line with one of our goals of encouraging African girls and young women to pursue STEM, we have three (3) STEM WOW scholarships for exceptional female applicants to attend Project iSWEST 2021. Indicate your interest in being considered for the scholarship in the application.
After participating in Project iSWEST participants will
- Gain basic skills in Computer Programming via coding on your phone!
- Learn how to use the design process to identify a problem and develop possible, sustainable solutions to those problems.
- Learn how to turn a business idea into a viable business.
- Learn how to present and pitch ideas and products.
- Learn how to work together in a team.
- Get access to a large network of alumni, mentors and other resource persons who can help transform Project iSWEST ideas into viable businesses.
- Be inspired and challenged by professionals in top companies such as Amazon, Facebook and Google
- Receive a certificate upon successful completion
Structure of Project iSWEST 2021
Project iSWEST 2021 will be in two parts, the Workshop Phase, and the Innovation Phase.
Workshop Phase (Week 1)
Students will be introduced to the innovation process and given basic hands-on training in computer programming and the innovation process.
Innovation Phase (Weeks 2 & 3)
Participants will familiarize themselves with problems after which they will work in teams to further research the problem, design and prototype an innovative solution to the problem. Facilitators and mentors will be assigned to each team to support and assist the team during the innovation phase. Students will also have mentorship sessions with young technology professionals and our alumni from top companies (e.g. Amazon, Facebook, Google, Microsoft etc.) and top schools (e.g. Columbia, Dartmouth, ETH Zurich, MIT, Princeton, Stanford, Yale etc.) via video link.
The Pitch Day
The climax of Project iSWEST 2021 is the final day dubbed “The Pitch Day” where teams will present their solutions to a panel of judges, education officials and other dignitaries. Teams will be assessed on the impact, sustainability, feasibility and business viability of their projects. Awards will also be presented to the top teams.
All SHS students, SHS graduates as well as students in tertiary institutions in Ghana are eligible. Applicants are not required to have prior experience with programming before applying. Students reading other programs apart from Science and technology are highly encouraged to apply!
To apply you should
- Be resident in Ghana.
- Must have access to reliable internet.
- Must have access to laptop or a smartphone
- Be able to commit to participating in the full program from 20th September to 9th October 2021 from 8 am to 5 pm each weekday.
- Be able to commit to completing all activities including participating in group work, submitting assignments, taking part in research activities, the pitch day etc.
- Must be highly motivated about developing innovations to address real-world problems
Students can apply by completing the online application form below. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the application deadline.
All successful applicants will be required to pay the non-refundable registration and program fees to confirm participation in the program only after acceptance.
The Program Fee is GHc500 which must be paid by ALL students. This fee covers
- Administrative costs
- Tuition for 3 weeks
- Course materials and resources
- Team project allowances
- Certificates and T-shirts
The application deadline is Saturday, 11th
If you’d like more information or have any problem at any point during your application, kindly contact us at email@example.com or call 0549851858/0556914070.
Need some inspiration to apply?
Check out the impact we are making here
About the Team
Project iSWEST is overseen by our strong and highly accomplished team of cofounders:
- George Jojo Boateng | Computer Scientist & Engineer | – President, Nsesa Foundation, PhD Candidate, ETH Zurich, Cofounder, SuaCode.ai, Pioneer, recognized as a 2021 MIT Technology Review Innovator under 35
- Isaac Sesi | Electrical Engineer |- Vice President of Operations, Nsesa Foundation, CEO, Sesi Technologies, Inventor, recognized as a 2019 MIT Technology Review Innovator under 35
- Victor Kumbol | Pharmacist & Neuroscientist | – Vice President of Finance & Admin, Nsesa Foundation, PhD Fellow, Charité Berlin, Cofounder, SuaCode.ai, Open Hardware Innovator recognized by Nature
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Who should apply?
We are looking for SHS students, SHS graduates as well as students in tertiary institutions who are passionate about creating impact in the society and are interested in exploring opportunities in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) to achieve this. We particularly encourage girls to apply because they are underrepresented in STEM careers.
2. Is there financial aid for students?
Unfortunately not this year. The program fee (GHc500) must be paid by all students.
3. When is the deadline for applications?
The deadline for all applications is Saturday, 11th
3. When will the decisions be announced?
All application decisions will be communicated latest by Monday, 13th September 2021 by email.
4. How will applicants be selected?
Applicants will be selected based on responses to questions in the application that demonstrate passion and commitment to making an impact
5. If I’m selected, how and by when do I commit?
All selected students will have to commit to the program by paying the full program fee (GHc500) and completing our pre-program survey will be in the acceptance email by Wednesday, September 15th, 11:59pm GMT. Detailed instructions will be in the acceptance email. Failure to do so will result in your position being offered to someone else on our waiting list.
6. I am not a science student. Can I still apply?
Definitely! Our program is designed for all high school and tertiary students regardless of your course. We have had several non-science students in previous editions of Project iSWEST so you are encouraged to apply.
- What is the STEM WOW Scholarship about?
The STEM WOW Scholarship is in line with one of our goals of encouraging African girls and young women to pursue STEM careers.This scholarship covers the full program costs for exceptional female applicants to attend Project iSWEST. Three (3) scholarships are available this year for female students who are exceptional, have high innovation potential and have a demonstrated financial need.