Apply for Project iSWESTYou can be one of the 60 people selected to participate in Project iSWEST 2018. Apply Now!
From 9th to 28th July, 2018, Nsesa Foundation will be giving 60 high school students the opportunity to gain practical, hands-on training in innovation, microcontroller and computer programming and entrepreneurship during Project iSWEST 2018 in Accra and Kumasi.
Project iSWEST is a 3-week innovation boot camp where high school students are given practical training in the innovation process from problem identification to building startups. This year’s program will focus on innovations that address problems in the Educational sector and participants will work in teams to identify and design and prototype innovative solutions to problems they have identified in Educational sector.
After participating in Participating in Project iSWEST participants will
- Gain basic skills in Computer Programming and Microcontroller (Arduino) Programming.
- Learn how to use the design process to identify a problem and develop possible, sustainable solutions to those problems.
- Learn how to turn a business idea into a viable business.
- Learn how to present and pitch ideas and products to investors.
- Learn how to work together in a team.
- Get access to a large network of alumni, mentors and other resource persons who can help transform Project iSWEST ideas into viable businesses.
- Be inspired and challenged by experts in large corporations such as Facebook and Google to cause change by identifying problems around them and turning them into sustainable businesses.
Structure of Project iSWEST
Project iSWEST 2018 will be in two parts, the Workshop Phase and the Innovation Phase.
Workshop Phase (Week 1)
Students will be introduced to the innovation process and entrepreneurship and given basic hands-on training in computer and Arduino programming. Students will also have motivational sessions with resource persons from Facebook, Google and other reputed institutions in person and via video link.
Innovation Phase (Weeks 2 & 3)
Participants will familiarize themselves with problems after which they will work in teams to further research the problem, design and prototype an innovative solution to the problem.
Other Activities Include
Facilitators and mentors will be assigned to each team to support and assist the team during the innovation phase.
The Pitch Day
The climax of Project iSWEST 2018 is the final day dubbed “The Pitch Day” where teams will present their solutions to a panel of judges, high school officials and other dignitaries. Teams will be assessed on the impact, sustainability, feasibility and business viability of their projects. Awards will also be presented to the top three teams.
All high school students and recent graduates from Ghana are eligible. Applicants are not required to have a prior experience with programming before applying. Students reading other programs apart from Science are also encouraged to apply.
To apply you should
1. Be resident in Accra/Kumasi or at least be able to get accommodation in Accra/Kumasi during the entire program.
2. Be able to commit to attending the full program from 9th to 28th July, 2018 from 8 am to 4 pm each day.
3. Be able to commit to completing all activities including participating in group work, submitting assignments, attending field trips, taking part in research activities, attending the pitch day, etc.
4. Be interested in working on the iSWEST idea and turning it into a startup even after the program.
Students can apply by completing the online application form below. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the application deadline.
All successful applicants will be required to pay the non-refundable registration and program fees to confirm participation in the program.
Registration Fee – Ghc250
Program Fee – Ghc200
Partial scholarships are available for successful applicants who can demonstrate financial need to cover the program cost.
The registration and program fees cover the following:
- Tuition for 3 weeks
- Course materials and resources
- Lunch for 3 weeks
- Team project allowances
- Certificates and T-shirts
Applications close on Friday, 8th June, 2018 so hurry and apply now!
If you’d like more information or have any problem at any point during your application, kindly contact us at email@example.com or call 0501359999.
Need some inspiration to apply? Check out the impact we are making and what others who have gone through previous editions of Project iSWEST are doing.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Who should apply to be a volunteer?
We are looking for high school students who are passionate about creating impact in the society and are interested in exploring opportunites in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) to acheive this. We are particularly encourage girls to apply because they are underrepresented in STEM careers.
2. When is the deadline for applications?
The deadline for all applications is Friday, 8th June, 2018. However, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis so it’s best to apply as early as you can.
3. When will the decisions be announced?
All application decisions wiil be communicated latest by 11th June, 2018 by email.
4. How will applicants be selected?
Applicants will be selected based on reponses to questions in the application that demonstrate you passion and commitment to making an impact in society. So go all out and tell us everything that makes you stand out.
5. I am not a science student. Can I still apply?
Definitely! Our program is designed for all high school students regardless of your course. We have had several non-science students in previous editions of Project iSWEST so you are encouraged to apply.