Apply for Project iSWESTYou can be one of the 30 people selected to participate in Project iSWEST 2019. Apply Now!
From 8th to 26th July 2019,
After participating in Project iSWEST participants will
- Gain basic skills in Computer Programming and Microcontroller (Arduino) Programming.
- Learn how to use the design process to identify a problem and develop possible, sustainable solutions to those problems.
- Learn how to turn a business idea into a viable business.
- Learn how to present and pitch ideas and products.
- Learn how to work together in a team.
- Get access to a large network of alumni, mentors and other resource persons who can help transform Project iSWEST ideas into viable businesses.
- Be inspired and challenged by professionals in top companies such as Facebook and Google
Structure of Project iSWEST 2019
Project iSWEST 2019 will be in two parts, the Workshop Phase, and the Innovation Phase.
Innovation Phase (Weeks 2 & 3)
Participants will familiarize themselves with problems after which they will work in teams to further research the problem, design and prototype an innovative solution to the problem. Facilitators and mentors will be assigned to each team to support and assist the team during the innovation phase. Students will also have mentorship sessions with young professionals from Facebook, Google, and other reputable institutions in person and via video link.
The Pitch Day
The climax of Project iSWEST 2019 is the final day dubbed “The Pitch Day” where teams will present their solutions to a panel of judges, high school officials and other dignitaries. Teams will be assessed on the impact, sustainability, feasibility and business viability of their projects. Awards will also be presented to the top three teams.
All SHS students, graduates as well as students in tertiary institutions in Ghana are eligible. Applicants are not required to have prior experience with programming before applying. Students reading other programs apart from Science are highly encouraged to apply!
To apply you should
1. Be resident in Accra or at least be able to get accommodation in Accra during the entire program.
2. Be able to commit to attending the full program from 8th to 26th July 2019 from 8 am to 5 pm each day.
3. Be able to commit to completing all activities including participating in group work, submitting assignments, attending field trips, taking part in research activities, attending the pitch day, etc.
Students can apply by completing the online application form below. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the application deadline.
All successful applicants will be required to pay the non-refundable registration and program fees to confirm participation in the program only after acceptance.
The Registration Fee is GHc250 which must be paid by ALL students. This fee covers
- Lunch for 3 weeks
- Administrative costs
The Program Fee is GHc250. There are partial or full scholarships are available for applicants with financial need to cover the program fee. The program fee covers
- Tuition for 3 weeks
- Course materials and resources
- Team project allowances
- Certificates and T-shirts
The application deadline is Monday, 3rd
If you’d like more information or have any problem at any point during your application, kindly contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0508066747/0501359999.
Need some inspiration to apply? Check out the impact we are making and what others who have gone through previous editions of Project
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Who should apply?
We are looking for SHS students, graduates as well as students in tertiary institutions who are passionate about creating impact in the society and are interested in exploring opportunities in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) to achieve this. We particularly encourage girls to apply because they are underrepresented in STEM careers.
2. Is there financial aid for students?
The registration fee (GHc250) must be paid by all students. However, there will be partial or full scholarships to cover the program fee (GHc250) for students based on need. Only apply for a scholarship if you need it because your acceptance may depend on the availability of funds since there is limited funding.
3. When is the deadline for applications?
The deadline for all applications is Monday 3rd
3. When will the decisions be announced?
All application decisions will be communicated latest by Friday, 7th June 2019 by email.
4. How will applicants be selected?
Applicants will be selected based on responses to questions in the application that demonstrate passion and commitment to making an impact
5. I am not a science student. Can I still apply?
Definitely! Our program is designed for all high school students regardless of your course. We have had several non-science students in previous editions of Project iSWEST so you are encouraged to apply.